hist-brewing: Next Logical Step

PBLoomis at aol.com PBLoomis at aol.com
Wed May 30 08:29:30 PDT 2001

In a message dated 5/28/01 9:50:15 PM Central Daylight Time,
matt at invisionstudiosinc.com writes:

> finding success in simplicity (and some lemons and a good
>  champagne yeast starter). I would like to continue that path, perhaps
adding
>  fruit/spices/chips and/or removing lemon juice. I would like to do this in
>  scientific fashion so I can have usuable (if undrinkable) results. I just
>  need to change one thing at a time. Suggestions welcome.

    Next step I'm going to is using wine yeasts instead of champagne yeast.
Champagne yeast is post period, and has been been specially bred to add
no flavor of its own to the fermentation.  The two finest meads I've had
recently were made with Flor Sherry yeast (Gulf Wars) and Montrachet
(Kingdom A&S).
    That's where I'm going.
    Scotti