hist-brewing: lined barrels?

Wade Hutchison whutchis at bucknell.edu
Wed May 9 07:43:13 PDT 2001

If you're looking for wooden barrels, the one company that I know of that
distributes lined
barrels is Panther Primatives.  The barrels are wax lined, not plastic, and
do work very
well for brewing.  I've had both beer and mead that was made and aged in
these barrels, and
there is a very slight "oakiness" present, but nothing overwhelming.  Hope
this helps,
         Wade Hutchison

Oh - web site at http://www.pantherprimitives.com/ No Barrels listed, but
they are in the catalog ($2.00).

Also - I think that they (Panther) are just buying the same barrels
distributed by home brewing suppliers,
and doing the wax lining themselves.  Odd thing is, the Panther barrels are
_less_ expensive than the
ones I've seen in homebrew shops.

Also, also - I just checked the Jas. Townsend and Son web site, and they
also sell wax lined barrels:
http://www.jastown.com/kegs/kegs.htm  Looks like 3 gallons is the smallest
size available.

         whutchis at bucknell.edu
         Master Gille MacDhnouill, OL
         Mountain Confederation/Abhainn Ciach Ghlais
         AEthelmearc