hist-brewing: Barrels and or Casks

Mark Poliner brewmaster411 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 26 18:17:45 PDT 2001

It would be easier to buy a wooden cask than to make
it.
Go to www.homebeerwinecheese.com  There are French and
Amercian oak barrels in many different sizes from 5
gallon to 50 gallon. Price includes preperation.

Basis for making a barrel:
Age oak staves at least 3 years in open air.  The need
to season and mellow.  Many French barrels are aged to
10 years.
Light a small fire. arrange the staves in a metal hoop
around the fire.  The fire will soften the wood for
bending.

Best to apprentice with a cooper to learn how to make
barrels.   For me, I stopped listening at this part &
started buying my barrels.  Much easier.