hist-brewing: Recipe and Soul

PBLoomis at aol.com PBLoomis at aol.com
Tue Apr 3 17:26:53 PDT 2001

In a message dated 4/3/01 10:47:53 AM Central Daylight Time,
mcfeeley at keynet.net writes:

> Arguments aside on who was speaking, Socrates or Plato through Socrates,
>  didn't Socrates call himself the gadfly of Athens?  It takes a curmudgeon
>  to find fault with a fellow curmudgeon.  :-)

    I have a great deal more respect for Socrates than I do for Plato.
Early Plato, when he was writing down the Socratic dialogues, is okay.
Socrates questioned everything, and provided us with a method for
inquiry which is still valid.  It is, in some sense, a precursor of Hegel's
brilliant but often misunderstood Dialectic.
    Later on, Plato built metaphysical structures which perverted the
mainstream of Western philosophy for over two thousand years.  His
"Forms" are purest blarney.  My Gaelic ancestors at their most fanciful
did not say anything as ludicrous as the things Plato promulgated with
a straight face.
    Scotti the curmudgeon.