hist-brewing: Re: The Birch Tree

PBLoomis at aol.com PBLoomis at aol.com
Sat Feb 24 04:43:34 PST 2001

In a message dated 2/23/01 9:20:40 AM Central Standard Time,
cindy at thousandeggs.com writes:

> Hi.  I think the Birch you need is Betula lenta, a.k.a. the Cherry, Black,
>  or Sweet Birch, not paper birch.

    I'm a bit confused or concerned or whatever by the name "Black Birch"
The only birch that grows well down here, on the Gulf Coast of Mississippi,
is Betula negra, known as black birch or river birch.  The bark looks rather
like cherry bark, but I've never noticed a wintergreen smell when I've pruned
mine.  If it's actually different, I hope that nobody will be confused by the

name Black Birch and waste time trying to make birch beer from the sap.
    Scotti