hist-brewing: Re: Kegging & hist-brewing-digest V1 #787

JazzboBob at aol.com JazzboBob at aol.com
Wed Feb 21 20:36:51 PST 2001

Kegs can be treated like a giant bottle and be primed with app. 1/4 cup
dextrose/corn sugar to naturally condition to an appropriate level for ales.
The bulk volume of a 5 gallon keg doesn't need as much priming sugar as
individual bottles.  However, it can sometimes be difficult to get the keg to
form a good seal around the O-ring lid after racking and priming your beer.
I usually pressurize my kegs with CO2 to form the seal after priming, turn
off the gas, and then let them condition naturally.  Otherwise, the slow
amount of gas generated by the priming sugar fermentation simply leaks out
and you have flat beer.
If you lay the kegs on the side, you could gravity dispense out of the short
tube side (what would normally be for gas input) and then allow air to go
into the keg with the long tube (what would normally be gas) since that would
be above the liquid level of the inverted beer keg.  You could gravity pour &
serve a "real ale" this way and manage for a few days before the beer becomes
oxidized from exposure to air.
If you really want to maintain beer and treat it properly to protect it from
air, you will have to purchase a CO2 tank and kegs.  Used ones can be located
for much less then $400.
Bob Grossman

<<