hist-brewing: Traditional kegging?

Sean Richens srichens at sprint.ca
Wed Feb 21 15:32:36 PST 2001

If you like the low-carbonation "real ale" style (or hate sanitizing bottles
enough to learn to like it), may I suggest bags?

There are a few variations - one is what the British call Polypins, the
collapsible polyethylen water carriers some use for camping.  The other is
to buy those aluminized bags that wine and wine concentrate comes in.  I
personally prefer not to re-use those, so I sometimes buy them and spare
valves at the homebrew store.

Wine kit boxes come pre-perfed to make a handy holder for them, or you can
duplicate the design in some larger box.  I would limit primings to 1/4 cup
for five gallons.  Putting some kind of weight on top of the bag helps
prevent air sucking back in before the bag's nearly done.

Sean