hist-brewing: Traditional kegging?

NATHAN T Moore NTMOORE at SMTPGATE.DPHE.STATE.CO.US
Wed Feb 21 13:55:22 PST 2001

You could operate you cornies as real ale barrels and introduce air to allow the beer to gravity flow.  What you would have to do is either open up the air line to allow air in, or vent it when the flow slows.  Problem is you would limit the lifespan of the beer by introducing oxygen, probably to a single weekend.  You would have to switch the air-in and beer-out dip tudes to get the air-in dip tube to the bottom (now the top since it will be upside down) and above the beer level, and the beer-out below the beer level.  The other problem would be leaking beer around the lid since you would not have enough pressure to seal as the beer got lower or to intilay seal the lid without massive leaking, this could be solved by rigging something up to apply pressure to the lid, such as a cross bar across the top of the corney attached to the lid and pulling it up and into place.

As far as priming the kegs, the amount is related to how much carbonation you want.  Also, realize that the carbonation will decrease after you start serving and introducing air because the beer will no longer be under pressure.  If it is for a single nights party that will be no big deal.

You can add no priming sugar to serve the beer flat or ½ cup for higher carbonation.

Nathi

>>> <PBLoomis at aol.com> 02/21/01 02:36PM >>>
In a message dated 2/21/01 3:33:56 AM Central Standard Time,
zymyrgy at hotmail.com writes:

>  I'm thinking of building a three corny-keg system that can be stood upside
>  down with a simple hosetap & beerswitch for each (easy made black & tans!)
>  Will this work? Any suggestions (other than lying the things on their
>  sides?) And how much would one need to prime the carboys to get adequate
>  carbonation without CO2 or nitro?

    I don't think it will work.  You will find that you have to find some way
to introduce gas into the top of your keg, beyond the dissolved carbonation,
to let the beer flow out.  I found that out when I was still in the 5-liter
keg
stage.
    Scotti

owner-hist-brewing at pbm.com