hist-brewing: Leatherwood honey & rockmelon melomel

Tom Smit lunica at senet.com.au
Tue Feb 20 22:26:35 PST 2001

Hi all,

  Some of you were kind enough to take an interest in my melomel and to
ask to be informed of progress.

  I racked the melomel off the fruit on Sunday & took an SG reading,
down to 1048 from 1095 (or so) I tasted some of the sample in the
hydrometer jar: unbelievably sour! The fermenter itself smelled just of
the beautiful honey so not an infection, just too much acid in the mix.
I am going to leave itself to ferment out and mature a bit before trying
to add bicarbonate etc to reduce the acidity.

 Cheers

Tom Smit