hist-brewing: Name that Drink... (please?)

ed somers kesomers at megalink.net
Mon Feb 12 19:35:26 PST 2001

This drink sounds like switchel a gatorade type drink that replenished
electrolytes after hot sweaty or strenuous work. It was most commonly used
during haying, unless they had beer. The usual New England recipes include
vinegar, molasses, and ginger to be diluted to taste with water. When
you're really hot it is quite refreshing, though many disagree. Ed

At 05:28 PM 02/12/2001 -0500, Donald Beistle wrote:
>Bob,
>
>While I can't supply a name for the drink you describe, I can tell you
>that something similar was being prepared for farmhands in Wisconsin as
>recently as fifty or sixty years ago, when my parents were growing up. The
>drink was mainly water, with some sugar, vinegar, and a touch of lemon
>juice mixed in. I found a recipe (not "the recipe") for it in my
>grandmother's tattered copy of _Amerikanische Kuche_ ("The American
>Kitchen," ca. 1905), where it is called simply "Sommertrink" (Summer
>Drink). Hope this helps. . .
>
>Bests,
>
>Don Beistle
>

>On 11 Feb 2001, Robert Lowe wrote:
>
>> I was at a medieval style festivle and I was given a drink that seemed
to be
>> composed of some kind of vinegar.  I was told that it was a traditional
drink
>> that was ment to cool you down (often given to people in the summer after a
>> long days work).  Unfortunately I don't recall the name of the drink.  I
would
>> like to know how to make it though because it really did what it was
supposed
>> to.  It tasted like a drink one would expect to have been brewed for the
>> peasentry, any ideas as to what it could be?
>>
>> Any clues will be much appreciated!
>>
>> -Bob

hist-brewing-digest, if