hist-brewing: Name that Drink... (please?)

Donald Beistle dbeistle at arches.uga.edu
Mon Feb 12 14:28:46 PST 2001

Bob,

While I can't supply a name for the drink you describe, I can tell you
that something similar was being prepared for farmhands in Wisconsin as
recently as fifty or sixty years ago, when my parents were growing up. The
drink was mainly water, with some sugar, vinegar, and a touch of lemon
juice mixed in. I found a recipe (not "the recipe") for it in my
grandmother's tattered copy of _Amerikanische Kuche_ ("The American
Kitchen," ca. 1905), where it is called simply "Sommertrink" (Summer
Drink). Hope this helps. . .

Bests,

Don Beistle