hist-brewing: cooking with gruit

Deborah Wood garwood at CAM.ORG
Sun Feb 11 16:33:27 PST 2001

I made a variation of the Sorensen family drinka posted by Adam Larsen,
and made 2
variations.
First runnings 11% after fermentation
and the second runninngs  came out at 6%.
I cook with what I brew and usually serve the same brew with the food
that I have made. This is what I cooked this week...
The amout of gruit used would vary depending upon the intensity of the
taste, a 6% brew would probably have only 1/4 water to balance the
taste.

Onion soup with gruit 11%

3 spanish onions (1 lb.) cut into slices and cook till transparent in
4 TBs butter with
3 bay leafs
3 cloves organisàc garlic
add 2 tsp thym (dried, or several branches with leaves)
3 organic beef bones ( about 1 1/2 lbs)
When onions are transparent add
550 ml gruit 11%
with an egual amout of water
add beef bones and cook in a pressure cooker for 30 minutes
till done.
season to taste
serve as is or broil hot soup in oven with grated cheese and croutons

Cheers,
Deborah Wood