hist-brewing: Re: Honeys from Oz

Jeff Renner nerenner at umich.edu
Sat Feb 10 07:02:42 PST 2001

Dan McFeeley <mcfeeley at keynet.net> quotes several authors' warnings
about Eucalyptus honeys and then adds:

>I think a lot of people were influnced by Acton & Duncan's description of
>Australian Eucalyptus honey and turned off to it -- I've read stuff posted
>on the Internet in the past warning meadmakers not to use Eucalyptus honey.
>Too bad, this is obviously a unique honey well suited for mead.

It's not clear to me, but it sounds as if you are confusing Tasmanian
leatherwood, Eucryphia lucida, with Eucalyptus species.  Similar
generic epithet (that's biologese for the first half of the name, the
genus), but, of course, different trees entirely.

Jeff
Jeff Renner in Ann Arbor, Michigan USA, c/o nerenner at umich.edu
"One never knows, do one?"  Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943