hist-brewing: Blue Mead Question?

NeophyteSG at aol.com NeophyteSG at aol.com
Fri Feb 9 10:27:41 PST 2001

Was it this list that we had a recent thread about the difficulties of
producing a blue mead without using food coloring?  If so, I think I may have
found a solution.  I was watching a cooking show recently and discovered that
blanching/simmering red cabbage causes the water to turn, you guessed it,
*blue*.  Yes, cabbage is fermentable (see
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques59.asp) though I question whether a
red cabbage mead is even remotely "historical".  I wonder whether the color
would survive the fermentation process ... you'd want to keep it in the dark.
 You'd also want to use the lightest (AKA clear/non-gold) honey you could get
to avoid it coming out green.

Warm Regards,
Shawn