hist-brewing: Re: U. S. leatherwood honey?

Jeff Renner nerenner at umich.edu
Fri Feb 9 06:54:12 PST 2001

At 8:31 AM -0600 2/9/01, Chuck <meadmakr at enteract.com> wrote:

>You also must be in digest mode as I earlier today posted a
>wuuuups! to the list.

Yup, only way I can get anything else done.  Otherwise, I want to
read everything when it comes in.  I have very poor discipline.

>My beekeeping instructor was talking about sourwood honey,
>not leatherwood honey.

Yes - a legendary honey.  Sourwood, Oxydendrum arboreum, is a tree to
20 meters, grows in woods from Pa. to s. Ind, s. to Fla and La.
Flowers June - July.

It is a member of a rich family, the Rockefell..., no I don't mean
that, the Ericaceae, or the heath family.  This family includes,
obviously, heaths and heathers, but also huckleberries, bearberries,
ledum (one of the gruit herbs), wintergreen, rhododendron, azalea,
Andromeda (bog rosemary - not sure if this is the gruit herb or
another imposter with the same name), trailing arbutus, and the huge
genus Vaccinium, which includes all kinds of berries such as
blueberries, cranberries, bilberry, and farkleberry (that one always
makes me laugh).

Pop quiz tomorrow!

Jeff
Jeff Renner in Ann Arbor, Michigan USA, c/o nerenner at umich.edu
"One never knows, do one?"  Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943