hist-brewing: more leatherwood honey

Chuck meadmakr at enteract.com
Thu Feb 8 08:32:38 PST 2001

Tom wrote:Tom Smit <lunica at ozemail.com.au>

>   Yes, I am from Oz and my leatherwood honey came from Tasmania. It is
> just soooo nice and not grainy nor bitter! Interesting that you guys
> make a leatherwood honey too, I presume from the same kind of trees? I
> still think a lot of l/w honey in the states may be imported 7 have lost
> a lot of its niceness.

My teacher said something about the leatherwood trees bloom earliest in
the spring in the Smokey/Appalachian mountains (in the Northern part of
the Southeastern US) and the beekeepers there haul their hives up on the
mountains for just a few weeks when the trees are blooming.

He also said it cost about twice the normal honey price, and that once
his wife tried it, she didn't want any of *his* honey. :?>)

Tom also said:

> food shop (now, alas, gone) and didn't care for the taste. Another
> thought has hit me--they wouldnt dehydrate the honey to reduce shipping
> weight & volume would they???

You're honey is already dehydrated - by the bees. It should be under 17%
(the average for all honeys). If it contains more than 17% it'll
ferment. It's unlikely that shippers would dehydrate any further.

Chuck