hist-brewing: U. S. leatherwood honey?

Jeff Renner nerenner at umich.edu
Thu Feb 8 06:40:00 PST 2001

I very much doubt that there is any domestic leatherwood honey.  It
sounds as though the trees are unique to Tasmania.

This from the Rainforest Products website http://www.rainforesthoney.com/

"THE ENVIRONMENT
The pristine condition of today´s Tasmanian South West Wilderness
environment would be indistinguishable from the natural state it was
in millions of years ago: one of the world´s oldest living trees
grows here and is a recorded 4,000 years old! It is in the remote
valleys of the inhospitable mountain regions, where rainfall exceeds
2.5 metres per year, the unique and beautifully scented Leatherwood
tree (Eucryphia Lucida) grows.
Named after the leathery texture of it´s leaves, the tree typically
grows 10-15 metres (occasionally reaching 30) and attains maturity in
250 years. This species of the tree exists nowhere else in the world."

I also read somewhere else on the web (result of a search) that the
trees don't even begin to flower for something like 30-50 years.

Jeff
Jeff Renner in Ann Arbor, Michigan USA, c/o nerenner at umich.edu
"One never knows, do one?"  Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943