hist-brewing: Melomel with Leatherwood honey

Tom Smit lunica at ozemail.com.au
Wed Feb 7 21:40:58 PST 2001

Hi,

> works out to around $18/lb. Ouch! That's even more >expensive than Heather Honey here in the US.
> That >tends to lead me to believe that Leatherwood is >indigenous to Australia, leading to higher > import >costs. Tom?

  It is made from the flowers of a tree indigenous to Tasmania (the
island to the south of the Aust continent) Someone posted a lot of info
about it from the Tasmanian Forest Products website just a few days ago.
On the other hand, another msg today suggests l/w honey also made in the States

> Could the bitterness that I tasted also be from traces of bee pollen? My mother is a great
> proponent of health foods, and one of the things she takes is bee pollon, and she convinced me to
> take a large spoonfull once, saying that it "tasted just like honey". Blech! It does not!

  A few people from Northern hemisphere have complained of bitterness
which puzzles hell out of me. The honey I get has just been treated to
get rid of bees legs etc, not much processing at all. It couldn't be an
unscrupulous supplier blending the l/w honey with another one?

  I don't buy from health food shops. A few people died after taking
royal jelly here. I once had some meringues with bee pollen from a great
food shop (now, alas, gone) and didn't care for the taste. Another
thought has hit me--they wouldnt dehydrate the honey to reduce shipping
weight & volume would they???

Cheers

Tom

When I am more awake I will find the website info & post it