hist-brewing: Leatherwood honey

WyteRayven at aol.com WyteRayven at aol.com
Wed Feb 7 08:24:47 PST 2001

In a message dated Wed, 7 Feb 2001 10:28:43 AM Eastern Standard Time, Chuck <meadmakr at enteract.com> writes:

>Interesting. Now Tom Smit was talking about >Austrailian leatherwood
>honey (which I intuit from his address), I'm not sure >where Dawn
>lives/bought her honey,

I live in northern california. The honey I bought was from australia, or new zealand. It comes in a black tin that looks kind of like the same kind of tin that paint comes in. I didnt even know it was available in the US. I have never seen it, other than at Whole Earth Foods, or at little specialty markets, and I have only seen the one brand of leatherwood honey.

> but my beekeeping course >teacher says that
>(US-produced) leatherwood is the best tasting honey he >has ever
>tasted. He has run 100+ hives for over 30 years and >*knows* about honey
>and beekeeping.

That is interesting. It is possible that I just dont care for the stronger flavor honeys. I usually use orange blossom honey. It's easy to get, and I have been happy with the meads that it has produced. I think that the leatherwood honey is the first strongly flavored honey that I have tasted.

>Just a data point...

>Chuck Wettergreen
>meadmakr at eneteract.com
>Geneva, IL