hist-brewing: Classes At Gulf

OxladeMac at aol.com OxladeMac at aol.com
Tue Feb 6 15:19:57 PST 2001

Disclaimer:  Sorry to those on the hist-brewing list that are offended by SCA
related stuff.  This is a mass mailing to several lists.

Howdy All!  It's been quite on some of these lists for a while!  I've got
some info to pass on to all of you who might be attending Gulf Wars next
month.  I'll be teaching two classes that should interest novice and expert
alike.  I gave the first one a trial run at Winterkingdom in Ansteorra last
month and it was met with smashing success!

The first class is on hop varieties. Let me give you a run down:  In the
first 45-60 minutes, we go through a discussion of the different factors that
effect a hop's bittering and flavor/aroma characteristics.  This includes a
discussion of trends in these factors that make some hops used for one style
of beer verses another.  (i.e. English type beers vs. German type beers,
ect...)  There is also some technical stuff like hop utilization and how to
predict bitterness, but most of the discussion is centered around predicting
what _kind_ of effect different hops have.  For the second half of the class
we put theory into practice.  I have prepared a 10 gallon batch that I split
10 ways.  Each sample was brewed following as close to the same procedure as
I could, but with a different hop! We taste these and discuss how they relate
to the theory discussed in the first hour.

Sounds cool, no?  Like I said, I learned alot by doing it myself! I didn't
have the level of appreciation myself till I went through the taste testing
with the other students!!!  There were two or three non-brewers at the class
who just enjoyed the heck out of it too!

There is a second class where we will do the same sort of discussion and
tasting session, only this time I have made a 10 gallon batch split 10 ways
with different yeasts!

These classes unfortunately won't make the brochure for Gulf due to a screwup
with the class-o-crat's office (This is the second year in a row they've
messed it up! I complained about it loudly).  They say they'll herald it and
have it on postings around camp, but we all know how that goes....  So, I'm
putting out the word myself.  Come one, come all!  It should be a good time!
If you can't attend gulf, I'm tentatively planning on teaching the same
classes this year at Pennsic.  (Hopefully _they_ can produce a class
schedule....)

Ox