hist-brewing: all wheat extract

PBLoomis at aol.com PBLoomis at aol.com
Sat Feb 3 17:28:37 PST 2001

John_Purdy at Jabil.com writes:

> While we're talking wheat...at a local health food store I
>  came across a bag of air-puffed wheat that is some odd strain they found in
>  a pretty remote piece of American wilderness.  The claims are that it is
>  virtually untouched by man in that it has never been selectively bred or
any
>  of that stuff.  It was over by the snacks and has a distinctively nutty
>  flavor.  Used it in a wheat braggot but I was using extracts for the malts
>  so I don't know how it would have worked in a filter bed.

    Anybody out there an expert on the history of wheat?  I think
the purveyor of this particular wheat is trying to flim-flam the health
food consumers.  IIRC, wheat is a domestic hybrid from two wild
goat grasses, and first appeared in Mesopotamia about 10500 BC.
I'm pretty sure I got this from the PBS program "Connections".
     The scary part about it is that the two parent stocks are far
enough apart that their offspring should be sterile, like a mule.
That the offspring were fertile implies some pretty sophisticated
genetic surgery, or one hell of a fortuitous mutation.
    Interventionism, anyone?
    Scotti
    "Not all chemicals [in food] are bad.  Hydrogen and oxygen
are chemicals which go together to make water, one of the main
ingredients in beer."                   -- Dave Barry

    "Not all chemicals [in food] are bad.  Hydrogen and oxygen
are chemicals which go together to make water, one of the main
ingredients in beer."                   -- Dave Berry