hist-brewing: RE: Gruit herbs

Sean Sweeney glutenfreebeer at home.com
Thu Feb 1 09:46:13 PST 2001

Tom,
I cannot advise you on the Tansy, as I have never used it in a Gruit in
either commercial or homegrown form.  I do grow my own Yarrow as you do.  If
you have enough mature plants that produce flower heads, harvest those for
your gruit.  In my most recent Gruit Ale, I used only the dried leaf and it
worked out wonderfully.  I believe the flowering tops give a more delicate
floral aroma/taste and the leaves give a more full bodied herbal character.

Labrador Tea (Ledum glandulosum) and Marsh Rosemary (Ledum palustre) are two
different herbs.  Which one did you get?  I would be interested to hear
about your experience with either.  I have found that Labrador Tea, while a
fine herb in its own right, is not an acceptable substitute for real Marsh
Rosemary.  I don't want to discourage you from using it, but in my
experience the many brewing texts (online and print) that use the two herbs
interchangeably are misleading.

For your perusal, my Gruit Ale webpage:
http://www.fortunecity.com/boozers/brewerytap/555/gruit.htm

Take care,