hist-brewing: Beer and Thanksgiving

NATHAN T Moore NTMOORE at SMTPGATE.DPHE.STATE.CO.US
Thu Jan 25 09:22:08 PST 2001

This is true, not because sailors in the 1600s were a bunch of alcoholic
partyers (not saying they were not either) but because beer was a safe
beverage, unlike water during the period, which if not contaminated when
at first, often would spoil during the trip.  Ships would always sail
with large quantities of beer that was rationed out to the sailors
during the trip.  If the beer ran out, it would be similar to a modern
sailing ship running out of water.  It is well documented that the
Mayflower, in search of a port, was forced to land earlier than expected
due to diminished stores, one of which, was beer.

Nate

>>> Curtis Chilton <chiltonc at gte.net> 01/25/01 10:00AM >>>
My wife cut-out for me a short new item from a recent issue of
Chemical
and Engineering News.  The title being:  Wholesalers (National Beer
Wholesalers Association) recommend beer for Thanksgiving.  While this
news
item may in part be a means to promote the sales of beer as an
alternative
to wine at Thanksgiving, the last paragraph is of interest from a
historical perspective.

"...  The 102 Pilgrims and the crew on the Mayflower had plenty of beer
on
board when they set sail from Southampton, England, on Sept. 6, 1620.
The
Pilgrims debarked at the site later called Plymouth on Dec. 26, 1620.
They
had hoped to reach Virginia, but were running short of supplies.
Pilgrim
leader William Bradford wrote in a diary entry dated Dec. 19, 1620, 'We

could not now take much time for further search...our victuals being
much
spent, especially our beer.'"