hist-brewing: Beer and Thanksgiving

Curtis Chilton chiltonc at gte.net
Thu Jan 25 09:00:12 PST 2001

My wife cut-out for me a short new item from a recent issue of  Chemical
and Engineering News.  The title being:  Wholesalers (National Beer
Wholesalers Association) recommend beer for Thanksgiving.  While this news
item may in part be a means to promote the sales of beer as an alternative
to wine at Thanksgiving, the last paragraph is of interest from a
historical perspective.

"...  The 102 Pilgrims and the crew on the Mayflower had plenty of beer on
board when they set sail from Southampton, England, on Sept. 6, 1620.  The
Pilgrims debarked at the site later called Plymouth on Dec. 26, 1620.  They
had hoped to reach Virginia, but were running short of supplies.  Pilgrim
leader William Bradford wrote in a diary entry dated Dec. 19, 1620, 'We
could not now take much time for further search...our victuals being much
spent, especially our beer.'"