hist-brewing: spontaneous ferment mead

PBLoomis at aol.com PBLoomis at aol.com
Thu Jan 18 09:28:17 PST 2001

In a message dated 1/17/01 10:30:35 AM Central Standard Time,
WyteRayven at aol.com writes:

> Also, since honey has been used as a remedy against infections (and there
are
> studies that have proved that it is effective) Im not sure that there
> actually is much yeast that could survive in it. I think that the must is
> watered down enough that the yeast is able to survive in it, but might not
be
> able to survive in honey itself.

    You are correct.  Honey is ~81% sugar.  Yeasts or bacteria
which fall into honey die of osmosis.  The water in their little cellular
bodies osnoses out through the semi-permeable integument in a
vain attempt to bring the local outside environment into "balance",
and they just shrivel up.  Too much sugar isn't good for you.
    To make mead, we dilute the honey sugar down to the point
where the yeasts can work on it without gagging.
    Scotti