hist-brewing: Blue Mead

Chad McGarrah cormac at intrepid.net
Sat Jan 13 20:28:56 PST 2001

I'm not one who knows plants very well...
and I would not suggest nor try myself without much further study...
but...

what about   woad?
it is historically appropriate as a dye
is it Toxic? Poisonous? bad in any way?

I've heard of potential effects when processed in certain ways...
(which I am not promoting)
but could it be used  if processed differently if not toxic?...

also.....
I have seen a rather blue ....Violet wine...
not sure of it's time period and uses... but it was a pretty blue...
but you would have to pick so.. so .. so  many of them to do the job..
and only use the pedals......
I have eaten wild violets since I was a kid and know of no problems relating
to them...
but would again recommend caution and research first...

in service,
Cormac