hist-brewing: Re: blue mead

Mark Schuldenfrei schuldy at math.harvard.edu
Thu Jan 11 19:09:35 PST 2001

  I just explored a stray afterthought ... Blue Curacao, a liqueur made from
  the dried peels of bitter oranges ... actually comes in multiple colors.
  Problem is, I couldn't find out what it was that gave it that blue color
  though I suspect food coloring.  Anyone know?  If you "have" to have a
  Smurfy-blue mead :) at least Blue Curacao would give you some unique taste
  and a presumably safe for consumption blue food dye.  Hardly historical
  though.

When I visited the island, I was told that Curacao liquor was clear, and was
chemically tinted to that color blue.

(Hasn't anyone here heard the George Carlin routine about blue food? :-)

	Mark Schuldenfrei