hist-brewing: Re: blue mead

Sean Richens srichens at sprint.ca
Thu Jan 11 15:58:26 PST 2001

I don't know how historical this would be, but a derivative of Indigo known
as Indigo Carmine differs from the natural pigment only by a couple of
sulphate groups.  I don't know how long ago that was figured out and how
"organic" the process would be.  It is (or was until recently) an approved
food colouring (some comfort that is!).

I suggest looking it up in something like the Kirk-Othmer encyclopaedia.  I
only have the Merck at home, and that's the proverbial little knowledge.

Sean