Kirsty Pollock kirsty.pollock at mpuk.com
Thu Jan 11 06:58:26 PST 2001

I wasn't saying it wasn't possible.

It would be some sort of chemical reaction, though, not that mixing any 2
(or more) makes blue of itself. It would be misleading and innacurate to say
that mixing black and red gives blue, but may be perfectly accurate to say
that that mixing substance A (which is black) with substance B (which is
red) gives a resultant solution C which is blue.

Pedantry, you may say, but it does tell you that you can't just mix any old
black stuff with any old red stuff and get blue.

The web site you give, I presume the example you are talking about is the
subtractive primary colour example - which is true, but is like the effect
you get with colour filters on a camera lens or transparent inks - it's
about transparent colours superimposed, which I'm not sure would apply to
beverages where (correct me if I am wrong) colour is usually due to
suspended pigmented substances.

KP