hist-brewing: Blue Mead

R. Trigg fyrebyrd at scadian.net
Wed Jan 10 21:08:09 PST 2001

WyteRayven at aol.com said in Re: hist-brewing: Blue Mead at 10/Jan/01Wed
10:21:
<snip>

> As far as alkanet, I need to find out more about it. I dont believe that
> it is a food coloring like the stuff you get in the grocery store. It was
> used in the middle ages, and therefore was probably a plant of some type.
> need to find out more info on it.

Greetings to the list from a lurker.

When I saw the term "alkanet," I thought I remembered a warning about it in
Cindy Renfrow's "Take A Thousand Eggs." It is a plant; however, according
to the glossary (p. 228) in Vol. 1:

"Alkanet - Alkanna tinctoria, a member of the borage family, yields a toxic
red dye which is used in medicines, chemistry, and the leather industry."

This doesn't sound like it would produce a blue mead or be safe to consume.

Sorry to throw cold water on the idea,

Lady Nostas'ia Stepanova
Barony of Ponte Alto, Atlantia
(mka Rachel Trigg, Alexandria, VA)