Jim Johnston tervale at quixnet.net
Wed Jan 10 09:42:17 PST 2001

From: "Linda Carter" <lc.otter at home.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 18:59:19 -0600
Subject: hist-brewing: first brewing project

I'm still getting up the courage to brew my first mead.
A friend of mine asked me for a blue mead, because
she's planning on putting together some sort of
something for the SCA, I think. Does anyone know
of any fruits that would brew up a brilliant sapphire melomel?
Perhaps blueberry or would that be too red?
I really don't want to use food coloring.

- -Linda Carter-
ICQ#22131799
lc.otter at home.net
http://www.crosswinds.net/~lcotter/

"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other
languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets
for new vocabulary."

- -- James D. Nicoll

Linda,

Sorry, I don't know offhand of any fruits that would yield an
adequate blue color.  Blueberry in the versions I've had gives a
purple-tinged red color, quite lovely, but not the brilliant blue you
desire.

You could pose the question on the mead-lovers digest.  The folks
over there have more experience brewing meads than I.

I am new to this list, having seen a reference for it on MLD
recently.  I brew modern beers (both lager and ale), mead and a
little wine.  I have an interest in traditional ales, especially in
lost styles.  I regularly brew a heather ale, and a couple of other
lightly spiced ales, mostly Belgian styles.  I've done a couple of
metheglins as well.

Jim Johnston
--
--Jim