hist-brewing: Blue Mead

WyteRayven at aol.com WyteRayven at aol.com
Wed Jan 10 07:21:05 PST 2001

Well, Violets, while not fruit, are at least flowers, rather than food
coloring, and were used in the middle ages to color foods. Im not sure if
they are pH sensitive or not, and so I am not positive that they would turn
the mead blue, but it would be your best bet. My understanding is that the
fruits (blueberries, blackberries, etc.) will not turn a mead blue, but will
turn it red instead, because of the way they react to pH.

As far as alkanet, I need to find out more about it. I dont believe that it
is a food coloring like the stuff you get in the grocery store. It was used
in the middle ages, and therefore was probably a plant of some type. I need
to find out more info on it.

Good luck!

Ilia

In a message dated Wed, 10 Jan 2001  1:36:22 AM Eastern Standard Time, "Linda