hist-brewing: first brewing project

Spencer W. Thomas spencer at umich.edu
Tue Jan 9 07:05:57 PST 2001

Blue is a very difficult color to get naturally.  Why? Because most of the
organic coloring agents that give a blue color are pH sensitive. That is, in
acidic conditions, they are red, and in alkaline conditions they are blue. All
fermented beverages are acidic. Thus, blueberry melomel is, at best, a reddish
purple color.

The only organic "blue" dye of which I am aware is Indigo.  I don't know whether
it is pH sensitive, although I suspect it may not be. But I also have no idea
whether it is edible.

Good luck in your search!

=Spencer Thomas in Ann Arbor, MI