hist-brewing: The Domostroi

Crystal A. Isaac xtal at sigenetics.com
Fri Jan 5 08:45:26 PST 2001

I do not know whether the Carolyn Johnston Pouncy is a worthy translator,
but if the text is true to the original, I think it's a great source. It is
a little low on actual recipes, but it has many descriptions of food and
drink.

To my mind, the greatest virtue of the book is the documentation of
intentional preservation of fruit juice (rather than wine).

The warning is that you must read the editor's notes, as she believe that
many of the sections on beverages are later additions <sigh>. As always,
read with care. At least Pouncy's notes are not nearly as confusing as
Spurling's.

I'm assuming you have the same version I do...
Pouncy, Carolyn Johnston.  _The Domostroi: Rules for Russian Households in
the Time of Ivan the Terrible_.  Cornell University Press, 1994.

All opinions my own, and worth the paper you're reading them on.

Crystal of the Westermark

--------
Crystal A. Isaac
"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." -- Bill
Watterson, in _Calvin and Hobbes_, 1988