hist-brewing: The Domostroi

PBLoomis at aol.com PBLoomis at aol.com
Thu Jan 4 17:27:45 PST 2001

    My Lady bought a copy of The Domostroi (trans. and ed. by
Carolyn Johnston Pouncy, Cornell University Press, 1994) off a
discount table somewhere.  I remember some discussion of it
on one of my lists within the last year, but cannot remember
what was said, or where.
    Is this a good translation?
    What are the useful things that one who is not actively
involved with late Medieval Russian culture can get from the
book?
    Thank you in advance,
    Scotti mac Curraugh