hist-brewing: Mead fix

NATHAN T Moore NTMOORE at SMTPGATE.DPHE.STATE.CO.US
Tue Dec 26 11:01:16 PST 2000

A dry mead is usualy down around the 1.000 to 1.010 final specific gravity range, to reach this level you would be well over 20% alcohol by volume given your recipe....that is not real likley, my guess is you are closer to 18% at the most, which would give you a final gravity of around 1.025-1.030, which should give you some good residual sweetness.  Although champaign yeast can go higher than 18% it is not normal.   It is possible that you may be sweeter than you think and the harshness of the alcohol is making it seem dryer.  My recomendation would be to hold off on makling any adjustments, especialy since it is already bottled, until it has had a chance to age at least a year, it may seem a lot more balanced than.  At that point you can reconsider if you want to sweeten it some by using the moethod in the last post.

If you want to avoid so much alcohol in your next batch you may want to try a less alcohol tolerant yeast, such as a good wine yeast.  See http://sca_brew.homestead.com/files/meadyeast.html for some ideas.

Nate

>>> <DEPiLLsb42 at aol.com> 12/25/00 05:59PM >>>
Greetings all,
  Four months ago I started a five-gallon batch of orange mead (20 lbs orange
blossom honey, 5 gallons water, 10 oranges, lightly simmered, strained and
bottled with champagne yeast). When I checked it a few days ago, it was
bone-dry with a strange ale-like taste. Any idea on how to make it taste and
feel more like mead?

Many thanks,
Dawn

owner-hist-brewing at pbm.com