hist-brewing: Mead fix

Mark Poliner allotta at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 25 18:55:11 PST 2000

Sure, first fine with bentonite and sparkaloid.  Add 50ppm sulfite and
sorbistat.  This removes all yeast and prevents any renewed fermentation.
Add 1/2# corn sugar or 3/4# honey.  The slight sweetness will enable the
honey and fruit flavors to be more pronounced.

Remember, before sweetening a wine, make sure that fermentation is
completely stopped.  This may mean an additional 2 months of aging.

The bentonite and sparkaloid will remove any suspended yeast, tannin or
protien that may start another fermentation or form a haze. The sulfite and
sorbistat will prevent remewed fermentation and stabilize the wine.