hist-brewing: modern brewing question

Henry Davis henry at henry-davis.com
Mon Dec 11 08:20:57 PST 2000

At 07:46 AM 12/11/00 -0800, you wrote:
>Sorry to go OT, Has anybody in our happy little group ever driven corney
>kegs across the mountains?

Several times. Three years ago I started in Massachusetts with 60 gallons
of beer in corny kegs. Drove from Mass to Pennsylvania (drank 30 gallons)
to Denver then to Santa Cruz Ca (back to sea level) where we drank the last
30 gallons. No problems. Beer made it fine.

Every year since, I have driven from Ca to Pa either taking I40 or I80 with
at least 4 kegs each time. No problems.

>I want to tak about 40 gallons of beers to
>arizona from missouri. And I need FIRST_HAND knowledge on the
>feasability of the beer surviving.

You might vent the kegs when you get there and then repressurize with CO2
to minimize foaming due to the higher altitude.

Henry