hist-brewing: Gruit Ale Wins Gold Medal

Sean Sweeney glutenfreebeer at home.com
Sun Dec 10 20:33:57 PST 2000

One small step for my own efforts, one giant leap for those interested in
bringing back historic brewing styles.  On what seemed like a lark, I
entered my first effort at Gruit Ale in my homebrew club's annual
competition, the Happy Holiday Homebrew Competition
(http://www.stlbrews.org/index.asp).  This same beer had recently won
accolades from my club and was chosen to go on to the national round of the
AHA Club Only Competition, so I took the chance and entered it in Saturday's
competition as well.  You can imagine my surprise when it won First Place in
the Specialty/Experimental/Historical category.  I have a webpage dedicated
to its creation which now contains information about this win as well.
Check it out here:

Gruit Ale - Technique and Recipe
http://www.fortunecity.com/boozers/brewerytap/555/gruit.htm

I would appreciate everyone's thoughts about the recipe, the webpage, or
anything else Gruit Ale related.  Please feel free to check out my main
webpage listed below that links to my other brewing endeavors.

Sean Sweeney
Gluten Free Brewing Project
and the
Amateur Hop Growers Journal