hist-brewing: oat malt

PBLoomis at aol.com PBLoomis at aol.com
Wed Dec 6 17:27:02 PST 2000

In a message dated 12/6/00 6:47:27 AM Central Standard Time,
krekuta at attcanada.ca writes:

>  I like malted oats as a small percentage, less than 25% of the grist bill.
> It has an excellent nutty flavour. I imagine using too much would be
> overpowering.
>  I can't recall the diastatic power of the Fawcett's oat malt I use, but
>  conversion is excellent. No compensation is required in the grist.

    I too use Fawcett's oat malt, and love it.  It produces a smooth
and mellow brew that my friends enjoy.  For a recent 5-gal batch, I used:
    9 lb    Pale 2-row
    3 lb        Malted Oats
    1 lb        flaked oats
    1/2 lb  chocolate malt
    1/2 lb  roast barley
    1/2 lb  black patent
    Wyeast Irish Ale yeast
    Nothing but compliments.  One of my guzzling friends said it was the
best beer he ever tasted.
    Cheers,
    Scotti