hist-brewing: crystal and Vienna malt

adam larsen euphonic at flash.net
Wed Dec 6 15:20:39 PST 2000

Hello all,
    This another point that makes adopting old recipes to the modern
kitchen such a dodgy proposition.  In lots of old recipes a distinction
is made between "malt" and things like oats, rye, brain etc. which
implies, strongly as far as i'm concerned, that the latter are not
malted.  I get the impression that for inexpensive drinks, ex. table
ales and such, adjuncts were unmalted additions to the grist bill made
out of economic necessity.  A good example of  such "economy ales" are
Watkin's fun little recipes.  Oh, for a real laugh you should look atthe
terribly bothersome complications found in German and Fresian renditions
of his recipes.
    Certainly malted cereals of all types have been around as long as
malted barley and the the vagueness found in old fashioned recipes makes
a real determination of what was malted and what wasn't a real chore.
In my
experience, one is seldom going to find pre industrial recipes that
expressly call for malted adjuncts, other then wheat, although certainly
their are several examples to the contrary.