hist-brewing: 10-13th cent ale class

PBLoomis at aol.com PBLoomis at aol.com
Thu Nov 30 17:26:29 PST 2000

In a message dated 11/30/00 9:22:05 AM Central Standard Time,
NTMOORE at SMTPGATE.DPHE.STATE.CO.US writes:

> PBLoomis wrote:
>  "    I would give them one which has had a non-Period 60-minute
>  post-mash boil.  The only drinkable unhopped ale I've made to date
>  included that step."
>
>  What gives you the idea that a pot mash boil was not performed before
1600.
> It seems like there is plenty of evidence to the contrary.  Unfortunately I
> do not have any references here at work.  Can anyone provide evidence one
way
> or the other?
>
>  It seemed William Harrison's wife boiled the wort in 1577.   Also, "A New
> Art of Brewing Beer, Ale" presents the concept of preparing Beer without
> doing a promash boil as a new method with no refrence to no-boil being a
> historic practice.

    I'm not sure what you mean by 'pot mash boil' or by 'promash boil',
but what I said was 'post-mash boil'.  The cost of fuel dictates against
a post-mash boil unless there is a good reason for it.  Harrison's wife
was using hops, which is a *very* good reason for such a boil.  Some
other gruits may require a boil to extract them properly, but I'm not
aware of any.  I could be wrong.
    Comments, anyone?
    Scotti