hist-brewing: Re: Brown Malt...hist-brewing-digest V1 #730

adam larsen euphonic at flash.net
Wed Nov 29 11:56:14 PST 2000

    I am not sure that your malt production techniques are on spot.  My
friend Finnboggi's various homemade brown malts provide excellent
yields, typically 48% with no sparge and 30% unmalted cereals!  And no
he doesn't use thermometers and such such because he is to stubborn to
listen to the modern view point that i keep telling him about.
    Actually, i think that old style brown malts were very smoky and a
lot less astringent and roast like then their modern counter parts and
had a taste very different then more modern dark malts.  This is of
course just based upon my experiences and may their for suffer what the
methodologists call "microscopic fallacy" and i would not be the least
suprise that others on this list have more experience with malting the
old way then i.
    I  doubt if the issue was "lets substitute lots of brown for a
little bit of these new dark malts and we will have something that looks
and tastes the same".
	I say this because no one really knows how the economic advantage of
the various malts brakes down in terms of actual points of extraction
per pound per shilling.  Rather i think that drum malting is more cost
effective as it is less labor intensive then floor malting and as a
result wood smoked malts became a rarity.  Also, once the commercial
sector chooses a malt the kind of malts available to the public drop
quite a bit.  Again it seems reasonable that lots of economic factors
ended old fashioned malt production and perhaps even marketing altered
public perception.  PB Loomis hinted at some of this kind of thing in
his
recent post.
    Oh, by the way, if anyone has suggestions for my perception of the
old strong
porter recipe closer to what the original would have tasted like please
tell me.