hist-brewing: Re: Brown Malt...hist-brewing-digest V1 #730

PBLoomis at aol.com PBLoomis at aol.com
Wed Nov 29 09:26:39 PST 2000

In a message dated 11/28/00 9:48:31 PM Central Standard Time,
JazzboBob at aol.com writes:

> John Harrison recreated a recipe that used a
>  combination of 15# pale, 20# crystal, and
>  10# brown malt for a total of 45# grain for a 10 gallon size.  The grist
was
>  chosen to reproduce the old beer character, taste, and color required in a
>  form that uses modern grains.  I mashed all of these grains and only
managed
>  to get an OG of 1.090 for a 10 gallon brew.  I typically would get at
least an
>  OG of 1.125 for a similar amount of pale malt when I mash my Barley Wines.
>  I assume the low yields were caused by weak conversions of the brown malt.

    I'm curious as to why Harrison (?) used that horrendous amount of crystal.
>From what I know of crystal, it's intended only as an adjunct.  IIRC, the
unique
kilning process results in large amounts of non-fermentable sugars and almost
no amylases.  That alone might account for your low yields.
    Might I suggest 30# of pale, 5# of crystal, and 10# of brown?
    Me, I don't use crystal malt at all, because it is made by a technology
that is flagrantly non-period.
    Let us know what else you're doing, your experiments are always
interesting.
    Scotti