hist-brewing: (no subject)

PBLoomis at aol.com PBLoomis at aol.com
Wed Nov 29 09:26:40 PST 2000

 Adam writes:
 >    In so far as why old style brown malts, however one defines them,
 >disappeared from the market place would be hard to say without some real
 >research.  I doubt if it was due to their lack of enzymatic power as
 >plenty of old recipes call only for brown malts and unmodified cereals.
 >The comparatively poor performance of old style malts was certainly not
 >a problem when brewing was a domestic as opposed to a commercial
 >pursuit.

    Maybe they just didn't realize how poor the brown malts were, until
brewing evolved from being a cottage industry with little information
exchange, to an organized commercial craft.  The improvements that
science brings us are based on free communication as much as anything
else.  That's why the old Guild system was better than what went before,
but still doomed by its proprietary tendencies.
    Scotti