hist-brewing: Re: Olde Porters - hist-brewing-digest V1 #729

JazzboBob at aol.com JazzboBob at aol.com
Tue Nov 21 20:02:16 PST 2000

I have been brewing several different historic Porter recipes over the past
ten years.  I became fascinated with these old style porters after reading
John Harrison's and The Durden Park Beer Club's book on Old British Beers and
How to Make Them.  I have shared my beers and tasted others with the Beer
Circle when visiting London and have received their enthusiastic approval for
my efforts. I highly recommend this book to anyone exploring these old styles
of brewing.  All the recipes are researched from historic brewery archives
and have been interpreted to 1 Imperial Gallon size recipes in a way to
recreate the beers as authentically as possible with our modern malts.

John Harrison discusses old malts and describes brown malt as being roasted
over fierce hardwood fires.  It was the darkest colored malt possible to
produce before creating a reaction that would turn the malt into charcoal.
In 1817 D. Wheeler invented the cylindrical drum roaster incorporating water
sprays which could be used to quench the roasting grain instantly.  This
enabled controlled production of roast malts ranging from amber, brown,
chocolate, and black.  This development was rapidly exploited by porter
brewers and within 5 years most London Porter had been reformulated to
replace most of the brown malt by pale malt plus a little bit of black malt.
This evolution can be observed by comparing the ca. 1800 London Porter to
1850 Whitbread's London Porter.  He also has a 1750 Porter and a ca. 1800
Dorchester Ale recipe that is another Porter variation along with several
other Stouts and Porters.

I have followed his instruction to home roast malt in my oven to recreate
Brown Malt.  Of course, we are missing some of the smoked aroma and flavors
from the original fire heated roasting of the old days.  I place the grain in
a 100*C (230*F) oven for 30 to 45 min to dry it out.  Then I raise the
temperature to 150*C (300*F) and roast for another 20 to 30 minutes to create
pale amber malt, or 45 min for amber malt.  Next I raise the temp to 175*C
(350*F) and continue roasting for another 15 minutes for Brown Malt.  My home
roasted Brown Malt is very rich and aromatic and has a dry bitter roasted
flavor along the lines of commercial black malt but with much more grain
taste.  Of course it doesn't have any enzymes left at this point and it must
be mashed with other grains to be converted.  I never exceed 35% of my grain
bill with Brown Malt to allow conversion.

Modern commercially produced British Brown Malts does not have enzyme powers
and must be blended into a mash.  They do not have anywhere near the flavor
or intensity of the homemade styles.  I believe that the historic original
hardwood fire roasted brown malts did have some enzymatic ability.  They were
a bit caramelized like Crystal Malt from the intense heat and were toasted
and removed from the heat before all the enzymes were destroyed.  Although
they were mashed successfully, the introduction of the hydrometer showed that
they were less productive then the lighter malt yields.  In addition, it was
cheaper and less expensive to produce the lighter grains (less roasting time)
and then add some of the new black patented roasted malts for color and
flavor.

This is probably getting too long, so I shall skip my thoughts on the use of
Linseeds and Oak.
The Harrison book is available directly from him in the UK or in the US from
The Beverage People @ 1-800-544-1867.

Also, The noted historic beer and yeast expert Dr. Keith Thomas is hosting
this month's AHA Tecnical beer forum and would be available to answer
questions for the next few weeks.

Bob Grossman
JazzboBob at aol.com