hist-brewing: Ginger and Spruce ale

jibber at hushmail.com jibber at hushmail.com
Tue Nov 21 12:59:41 PST 2000

Hello all,

    I recently have been told that ginger was often used in historic brewing
but i have seen no specifics.  I hope that someone on the list can tell
me how ginger was used in brewing and how to make a historically accurate
ginger bier.
 Were old ginger biers hopped or did they use a gruit?
	Also,  i understand that in colonial America they made Spruce ale that
used something called "bran" which i am unfamiliar with.  If anyone could
describe this ingredient and where to get it i would
be grateful.   Also, were colonial Spruce ales hopped or unhopped?  Does
anyone have a
decent recipe for such an ale?

Thanks in advance,

Finnbogi Kvamsdahl