hist-brewing: Very Old, Strong Porter

Jeff Renner nerenner at umich.edu
Mon Nov 20 11:33:14 PST 2000

adam larsen <euphonic at flash.net> wrote

>     For the grist bill i suggest the following:
>

>14 1/4's pounds of brown malt, toasted at 350 F. for 20 minutes
>9 1/2's pounds of pale malt
>4 3/4's pounds of oats

It's not clear to me if Adam has successfully brewed this himself - I
don't remember the earlier posts.  But I have this caution - the
brown malt from Thomas Fawcett & Sons in UK has no enzyme power and
I'm pretty sure that the pale malt would be too low to convert itself
and the brown malt and oats.  Perhaps other brown malt has some
amylase, historic brown malt had a bit, although its yield was low
enough to cause it to be replaced by pale malt (and patent malt) when
this was realized after the invention of the hydrometer.

Jeff
--
-=-=-=-=-
Jeff Renner in Ann Arbor, Michigan USA, c/o nerenner at umich.edu
"One never knows, do one?"  Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943