hist-brewing: RE:Heather ale body (was: Re:Kingdoms!?!?)

Kel Rekuta krekuta at attcanada.ca
Sun Oct 29 16:41:20 PST 2000

Angus wrote:

> --- Owenbrau at aol.com
> > wrote:
> >In a message dated 10/14/2000 10:07:15 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> >angus at iamawitch.com writes:
> >
> >> I kept the mash temp around 78 C and the final brew turned out a nice
> >coppery/
> >> brownish red with a licorice smell and malty taste.  Bittering was done
> >with
> >> hops alone since I couldn't get any heather.
> >>  It has plenty of body but not quite a knife-and-fork body.  A spoon will
> >do.
> >
> >This is ~172 F, way too high!
> True, the temp should have been 68C/154F, not 78C/172F.  I was writing from memory and didn't see the error, thanks for correcting it
> <snip>
>
> >One way to get the huge mouthfeel in a Scottish Ale is to power up your
> >kettle as soon as the bottom is covered with wort. You wind up caramelizing
> >some of the sugars (from the "Scottish Ales", Classic Beer Series)
>
> I can't do that since I can't collect the wort and boil it simultaneously due to equipment and space restrictions.  However, after sparging I boiled the collected wort for at least 2 hours at a good rolling boil.  This gives the same effect and minimizes the risk of scorching the wort (I tend to forget stuff once it's boiling).
>
> >Owen
>
> /Angus
>
> ==
> If you look at the sun without shielding youreyes you'll go blind.  If you look at the moon without shielding your eyes you'll become a poet.

> Get your own mando cool and totally free email at iamawitch.com address at http://freemail.iamawitch.com today!

Actually, no. It doesn't. The carmelization is not the same from kettle as it is from boiling. I used long kettle boils to darken the wort and of course, increase OG but I could not get the same flavours. Actually kettle scorching the first 5% of the runoff is very easy and provides the distinct flavour typical of excellent heavy
ales. i.e. Traquair House. A long boil is also important but for different reasons. I am fortunate to have a copper kettle so there is little risk of sticking. On stainless, I used to be extremely vigilant at this stage.

I usually run off a quart of running into the kettle as soon as it is hot to a hand held above the kettle bottom. I then stop the runoff until the liquid is reduced to a tar like foam boiling on the kettle bottom. I let the runoff continue at this point. I sparge over 45 - 60 minutes. I target an OG of 1.10 in a 4 hour boil, but
rarely reach it, as I can't mash more than 14 lbs of grain in my tun. This doesn't make a 20 L batch at this boil length.

I developed my techniques after a thorough read of Noonan's Scotch Ale in the AHA Classic Brew series. I can highly recommend it.

Kel