hist-brewing: Gelatinizing (was Heather ale body)

Kel Rekuta krekuta at attcanada.ca
Sun Oct 29 16:22:16 PST 2000

PBLoomis at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 10/23/00 1:42:58 AM Central Daylight Time,
> angus at iamawitch.com writes:
>
> > Yes, making porridge was a risk I took, I've suffered the porridge result a
> > few times when making Berliner Weisse with lots of unmalted wheat.  This
> time
> > I used more water than usual when mashing.  I also boiled the oats to
> > gelatinize the starch (this is supposed to help the enzymatic conversion
> but
> > I don't know the mechanism behind it) for a few minutes then added more,
> cool,
> >  water and the malt and beginning the mash.
> >
>     Ah, there's the clue.  I know that gelatinizing helps but not how it
> does it.  Any brewing scholars out there who could enlighten the rest
> of us blokes?
>     Scotti
>
>     Knowledge is never wasted, nor is the time to acquire it.

Gelatinizing unmalted cereals makes the starch available in solution to be
converted by enzymes. Most breweries that use unmalted grains add about 10% of
the malted grist to the premash. Another method to improve mash runoff is the
addition of cereal bran to the mash. Oat and rice hulls are available at many
homebrew suppliers. They really work well, in as little as 2-3 dry measure cups
per ten pound mashes.

Do not use bran flakes from the bulk food shops. They are ground. This defeats
the purpose of addition to the mash.

Kel